Pie, pie, oh wonderful pie. For Boxing Day 2014, we hosted my teammates for a day of Jaffle-making and pie-eating. I decided to make some festive pies, an Apple Roses and Cherry Pie, and a Speculaas Pumpkin Pie.
For 1 large pie
Prep Time: 30 min for pastry & 1.5 hours for the roses and pie filling (the roses are quite time consuming).
First step: Make short crust pastry and blind bake. Note: You won’t be using all the pastry for the base as the top needs a few strips as well. Once the pastry is done (220°C), turn the oven down for preheating at 200°C.
- 4 Apples (cut up in thin half moon slices)
- Pastry strips (to hold the roses together)
Check out this video – it taught me how to fold them apple roses. The longer the strip, the bigger the rose.
Fold the roses, then set them aside.
2. The Cinnamon and Apple Filling
There are many methods to go about this. My favourite is to cook it up using pectin. Pectin is used in most all-natural jams, jellies, marmalades or preserves. It’s a natural substance that occurs in many fruits, and when heated with sugar – it creates a thickening effect.
- 4 Apples (diced, keep the cores)
- 3 C water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 small block of butter
- Heat all the ingredients together in a small sauce pan until it reduces.
- Remove the cores.
- Set aside
3. The Cinnamon and Apple Pie
This is the fun part. You can decorate the pie any way you want and using cookie cutters is a great way to get fun shapes. For this pie, I like to use pastry strips for a more traditional Apple pie look.
- Cinnamon Apple filling
- 1 egg
- Extra pastry
- Cinnamon to dust
- Roll the pastry out and cut into strips.
- Add the Cinnamon Apple filling, but keep some of the syrup aside.
- Lay the strips over the pie.
- Lay the Apple Roses on top of the pie.
- Drench the roses with the syrup and pour the rest into the pie.
- Whisk the egg and brush the exposed pastry.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes.
Serving Suggestion: Lay fresh scored half cherries around and brush the tips of the Apple Roses with edible gold dust. Then whip up some vanilla and cream to go with it.